5 Ways to get more active
Exercise is so important not only for our physical health but also our mental health.
How much exercise should we be doing?
We should do some type of physical activity every day. Any type of activity is good for you but the more you do the better.
- Aim to be physically active every day. Any activity is better than none, and more is better still
- Do strengthening activities that work all the major muscles (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms) on at least 2 days a week
- Do at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity a week or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity a week
- Reduce time spent sitting or lying down and break up long periods of not moving with some activity
Five top tips to increase your exercise
- Set goals – It’s helpful to set goals (big or small)
- Schedule your exercise – We know we are more likely to successfully exercise if we plan when we will do it.
- Stand up – Be mindful of how long you’re spent sat down. Try to stand up every so often and move around while working.
- Try to exercise whilst sat down – If you work at a desk all day, try these sitting exercises from the NHS website (opens in new tab)
- Get up and move – Try setting yourself a 20 minute movement session 3x a day. Go for a walk round the garden, up and down the stairs or try step ups.